Sunday, November 9, 2014

I'm Back:>)

LET'S HAVE SOME FERN!

 

Life is crazy - for you, too, I imagine -  but I missed the blog.  This is a brief, not fancy "hello" and a way for me to re-acclimate.  Writing the blog is a way for me to engage with people and share the wonders of our little portion of the natural world.  

Sometimes I write about things other than those delights I see on a walk.  I think the next blog, the more lengthy one, will be on SPOT THE MAGNIFICENT.  Spot is our kitten, the little guy we adopted in June of this year.  He was feral, terrified, and impossible.  Now he's a true "pussycat" - a sweetheart.  It's possible what we learned and experienced could help someone else.

Meantime, "HELLO!  I MISSED YOU:>)"

These ferns are not named; enjoy the lovely greenery, even when it's black and white:>)

Springtime brings us "fiddleheads", the newly growing fern fronds.

Summer is wonderful around here!  Anywhere there is moisture and dappled sunshine there are ferns.  Some are feathery and delicate, some more solid-looking, and others tall and graceful.  I counted no less than 8 kinds of ferns on a walk of about a mile.  The Season was late summer when things are doing well and pretty much grown.





This next picture shows the home of either a moth or a tier caterpillar.  I tried tying cheesecloth over it to see what emerged, but I must have been too late - nothing emerged and nothing was in the "house" when I later examined it.  This was beautifully woven and tightly stitched together with silk - an engineering marvel done by a humble, little larva of some sort.  AWESOME!


Over the course of the many years we've lived here, I collected an occasional wildflower and replanted it in my wildflower garden.  I never dug up a plant that wasn't endangered by construction or some other disaster (spraying plant killer on the power lines by the Electric Company counts as a disaster), and some didn't make it through the transition.  Many wild plants have specific symbiotic relationships with other plants or organisms that thrive in the same area.  Moving them can also take them away from the partners that make the plants healthy and viable and allow them to thrive.  The best ways to capture beautiful wildflowers for your garden is to gather seeds (you'll need to do some research on what to look for and when), take a cutting (can be very difficult), or buy from a reliable source.  There are many on the internet that sell almost any wildflower your heart desires.

Now that was a bit off the subject:>)

This last picture is my wildflower garden in autumn.  Fall is the time of settling in for the winter's nap, a time when colors are both lost and and enhanced.  


There will be another blog post soon.  Meantime, thank you so very much for taking time to come by.

Have a wonderful week!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think about this blog.